Wednesday 31 October 2007

The Center Of The World


I was the center of the world.

My mother said it didn’t revolve around me
so I set out to prove it did.

It cost me my life.

Cross me
I crossed you out

turn your attention away
I shut the door
thought I was shutting you out
when all the time it was me
judging you by blaming you for judging me.

To thine own self be true
was my Ten Commandments
and love alone transcended law
love
that comes & goes
when
where I don’t
you
me
one who is stuck with one’s self after love goes
after dreams go
after life.

I was the center of the world
they said
a genius
hero
a god

true to mine own self
I vowed
and was impaled for it on loss.

Genius consumes
gods
abandon
heroes
fall.

I was the center of the world
they said

there was only ever room for one.

No comments: