Wednesday 31 October 2007

I Saw My Love


I saw my love today
who was my love
when I was young.

I saw her where I lived with love
when I was older
and love was then a man.

I spent the day with her
and thought of him
and spoke with he who was my love last week
when I was older still
but love was still and always young.

Why live in longing
aching
crying in dark, empty rooms and breaking,
calling out for lovers who are gone
and memories that keep making lies of love
that was so often there for taking.

Who am I to cry and pine for it
when love has almost never not been mine?

What loneliness within consumes the light?
What gaping, hollow hole displaces joy?
What fear hope?
What neediness my tomorrow?

Life is love,
love life,
what else the longings
passage
pain.

But O
be thankful and rejoice,
tomorrow is today
today is yesterday
all love
all lovers
all loss
is lost in time.

It only lingers in the heart.

No comments: